Tuesday, March 18, 2014

What's Blooming in March?

Come on Spring!

Enough with the cold nights and rain during the day, or being sunny during the day when I'm at work and then raining when I get home.

Let's have some days (or a good, solid week) in the 70's already! Geesh! Is that too much to ask?!?

Camellia japonica 'Scented Treasure'
Assistant Yvee rolling on her frisbee?!?

Ah well. I get out when I can.

I mowed the lawn last week in between rainy days. It felt good to get the mower out and get the grass cut. At least the mower started without too much complaint. It was too sloppy to edge the grass - will have to save that for later.

I weeded a bit and pulled some dead things out. A lot of the bush sage, thyme, scabiosa, and newer phygelius seem a bit on the dead side of things.

There are still a lot of plants that I can't make the call on yet (alive vs dead). I pulled out one dead looking cape fuchsia, out only to see it has new growth just emerging, so I popped that one back in the soil. 

On the bright side - I bought several new plants and even some dahlia bulbs already to fill in the holes. Dahlias? I never buy those - what was I thinking?!?

There is a lot in bloom though and it feels good. Change is in the air! 

It's going to be a good plant season - I can tell! 

A wonderful little ground cover I forgot the name of? Update: Cardamine trifolia (Trifoliate Bittercress)
Pieris with Edgeworthia in the back. Lots of buds on that tree peony!
Camellia japonica 'April Remembered'
Iberis sempervirens (Candytuft)
Borrowed scenery
Daphne x houtteana blooming.
A new tree peony for 2014  - Paeonia suffruticosa 'Koukamon 皇嘉门'
The new foliage on Paeonia suffruticosa 'Black Panther黑豹' is stunning.
Pieris japonica 'Valley Valentine'

     


5 comments:

  1. I'm with you Matthew! Weekends without rain would be very helpful. I'm tired of great weather while we're at work and monsoons when we get home. Go spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it going to be sunny this weekend ? I hope so I'm meant to be going to a dog park, this will be Mickey and Rosie's first DP visit.
    My cape fuchsias look pretty dead too, maybe I should take a closer look before I start pulling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this weekend will be a good one.

      I cut the cape fuchsias down every spring to keep them from getting too big, but they are dead to the ground this year as far as I can tell. I'm sure most of them are still alive though and just need time to resprout. They are pretty tough.

      Delete
  3. I love the new growth on those peonies. The ground cover looks like Dentaria, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the new foliage colors on the peonies too. I finally remembered the ground cover name: Cardamine trifolia (Trifoliate Bittercress).

      Delete