Monday, March 23, 2015

A Weed Ecosystem - Palm Style

While plant shopping this weekend, I stumbled upon a lovely palm tree.  I'm not real good with palms, so I couldn't tell you which one it was. Probably one of the marginally hard ones for here in Portland.  

It was obvious it had been there a little while.

What intrigued me the most was the cast of characters that had made themselves at home in the palm and this was only the plant life.


Getting a little closer you could see the ferns, Himalayan blackberry and the dandelions growing out of the trunk. 

I guess it isn't the kind of trunk that's very amenable to just sticking your hand in to pull out a weed.





It's a little world of weeds.




6 comments:

  1. Haha! That is so cool! I have trunks like that on my Trachycarpus, I should see if I can start seeds in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm imagining a little gourmet salad garden growing in the trunk. In each little leaf pocket, some green and red lettuces, or perhaps some Mizuna or Radicchio? Gotta have some Frisee too!

      Delete
  2. I know where you were! I've taken some of those same photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little buggers will grow anywhere. Why, oh why, can we not learn to embrace them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! There are palms in the neighborhood here with weeds growing out of them--though blackberry is not one of them.

    A local botanic garden has the nooks and crannies in one of their palms filled with impatiens. It's surprisingly effective. Tillandsias also work well.

    ReplyDelete