Wednesday, December 21, 2016

2016 Wrap Up

So here we are at the end of 2016. I hate for it to end. I have such a feeling of impending doom for 2017. Although I would argue that 2016 also had some pretty sucky moments.

I have a hunch that for the next four years my garden will be even more important to me, something sacred and true.

The garden always heals my soul, lifts my mood, gives me purpose, and brings me back to the Earth. The garden generally provides few disappointments too.

Frozen fish and bogs.
In the coming year, my head may be in the Begonias, making sure I get that last walnut tree sprouting in the flower bed, but I will be sure to stay ever vigilant outside my garden too, to protect those I love and the rights we have fought for over the past eight years.

I don't mean for this blog to ever be political. It's purpose was always only to be an expression of my nerdy plant love. But it feels like there is more to lose in 2017, than to gain. Sorry folks, in this case, I'm not an optimist.

While there is much to lose, there are many things to look forward to in 2017. Another year of gardening, more plant buying, garden renovations, spending time with my assistant Yvette patrolling the yard for errant squirrels, etc. I can hardly wait to see how the Sarracenias and the bogs overwinter.

Spring cannot get here fast enough!

I also appreciate that a love for gardening crosses all lines and brings us all together with a shared interest. It's amazing how a love for Venus Fly Traps or Peonies or Grevillea, spans the globe and has introduced me to people all over the world that I now call my "friends". I hope to have many more friends in 2017.

I'm not sure what the next four years holds, here's to hoping things don't go down the shitter.

We can always make compost if they do - and compost is good for gardens...

Happy Holidays!

Matthew + Yvette




    

3 comments:

  1. While I am glad to see the end of 2016, because it's been a pretty shitty year for me personally, I'm also not much looking forward to 2017, for all the same reasons as you. I try not to be political on my blog too, but damn. I don't want to hide in my garden like an ostrich with its head in the sand, but it will give me healing vibes, and I hope it does the same for you (and Yvette).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to all of the above. 2016 has been shit, and that compost won't be ready for awhile. The next four years will likely be worse. I'm dreading it, but I'm also going to work harder to at least make my little piece of the world a better place. At least we have our garden friends, both online and off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2016 was the most surreal year I can remember - on so many levels. The best place of "reality" to turn to was my garden, and my gardening friends and community. Although there are no political strategies, hidden agendas, or ulterior motives in my garden, the things I learn there can often be reflected on in the bizarre world beyond. So, my blog often has political - or at least existential - undertones. It helps me cope.

    I keep hoping for some sort of miracle, but I'm too am doubtful about any improvement anytime soon. At least we have each other. Which, in a shortsighted, protected way makes me happy in my little bubble. :)

    ReplyDelete