Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Perino's Garden Center

The Mardi Gras Gardener and I were recently in New Orleans (Metairie to be exact) to see relatives and go to the Orpheuscapade.

In a weird twist of fate, we actually ended up on a float in the Orpheus parade throwing beads, which was a crazy experience. The papier-mâché flower designs on the floats were amazing and worthy of a post of their own later on.

While staying in Metairie, we were only a few blocks walk away from Perino's Garden Center (3100 Veterans Blvd., Metairie, LA 70002). In between my Fat Tuesdays frozen daiquiris (I highly recommend the Pina Colada or the White Russian), Alan and I went to go see what they had in store.

As a pacific northwest gardener, it's always interesting to see what a southern nursery has in stock. There is clearly a lot that we cannot grow in Portland. A lot of the plants are still recognizable though, but most likely to be grown as houseplants.

I'm afraid I didn't pay too much attention to plant names, so some of the plant pictures will lack plant names.

A tour of the plants in pictures below:





Bird of Paradise
 


Foxgloves


Dianella tasmanica 'Variegata' (Variegated Flax Lily)
 

"Macho" Fern in the second row.
 

Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata'  (Variegated Shell Ginger)
Ligularia reniformis (Trqactor Seat Plant)
Monstera
I thought the no-tip stands were cool!

Callistemon viminalis 'Hannah Ray'
Oleanders

The recent cold got to these Rojo Bananas
A grove of Citrus.
Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina Jessamine)
Hibiscus
Hibiscus

Indoor garden plants and Orchids.
 







3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this glimpse of a southern nursery. How interesting it would be to garden in such a climate. Glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love visiting nurseries when I travel, this is almost as good, thank you! That Callistemon is blooming insane...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy it too and I always have to price compare. Thankfully I didn't find any plants to take home! I already had too many beads and blinkies to bring home in my luggage.

      Delete