Monday, May 20, 2013

A Rainy Saturday

Here in Portland we had some cooler rainy weather after a week of sunny mid-80s.  

The hot sunny weather the week prior was already burning the lawn and Portlanders were complaining about it being too hot already.  Portlanders are a fickle bunch - How quickly they change their tune!

My newly planted vegetables needed daily watering to make sure they didn't burn up and even the flower beds seemed really dry under the bark mulch. 

I had already turned the heat off in the house for the season, but had to turn it back on for the weekend, because I was cold (If only I had cheese to go with my whine).  It was hard to sit inside and watch it drizzle, when I wanted to be out in the garden, but at least I didn't have to water everything. 

I couldn't bring myself to go out in the rain to Rare Plant Research for their sale. I knew I could live vicariously through all the other bloggers who went who would  post all about it. 

Life is about trade-offs. 

All that time I could have been watering in the heat, I spent cleaning house and looking out the window at the beautiful spring rain.

Paeonia lactiflora 'Gay Paree’
Paeonia lactiflora 'Leslie Peck'
Phlox glaberrima 'Triple Play' (Perennial Phlox)
I remembered to get the cage around this peony in time!
The bed extension on the left foreground is new.

Everything seemed so small when it first got planted!


The Black Walnut is dropping aborted nuts EVERYWHERE.... 
The English Walnut is leafing out and looking good after its spring trim up.
Just enjoy the flowers - Don't look too close at the grass.

The Iris is called "Throb"

Lobelia tupa in bud. Hummer "Crack" is on the way!











3 comments:

  1. I will never complain about the cold...but I do whine when it gets warm...at least I'm consistent! Your Peony staking reminds me that I need to get out there and do some pre-emptive staking for those few plants that ALWAYS flop, no matter what!

    I think I blushed at 'Throb' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flaunting your success with Lobelia tupa can only be atoned for by telling us how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly Ricki, I just stuck my Lobelia tupa in a sunny spot in a raised bed and it just grows. I don't do anything special for it. Perhaps it is more persnickety about it's growing environment than I realize if others cannot grow it successfully.

    ReplyDelete