Monday, May 20, 2013

Begonia 'Benitochiba' - Had to Have it!

I'm not really a Begonia person. They make me think of old blue-haired ladies growing them inside on windowsills or in mass planter boxes at theme parks.

I admit that I have a few Wax Begonias in the yard from a 6-pack of annuals I bought years ago. They seem to somehow survive each winter and reappear much to my surprise.  I think they return each year mostly out of spite. 

But when I saw this hybrid Begonia 'Benitochiba' I had to have it. I was imagining its pretty metallic coral red leaves with contrasting pewter-grey veins next to my favorite garden "thug" - Sedum repestre 'Angelina' or the much nicer Saxifraga x urbium 'Aureopunctata'. It even looked great in the red wagon. 

.
I'm sure it will rot over winter and I'm too lazy to bring plants in (except for a couple small Agaves and a Pachypodium in pots).

I know it won't make a repeat appearance just to spite me, unlike the Wax Begonias.

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful new begonia! Congratulations on the new addition to your green family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the HUGE silvery Begonia that I spotted at 'Wind Dancer' ...beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. Plants do seem to have a spiteful streak. Could you con it into thinking it fills you with scorn? Nah, they are also intuitive.

    ReplyDelete