Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bee Heaven

We had a smattering of sun over the weekend mixed with a little rain and wind.

The wind had me a little worried about some of the tree peonies flopping over and breaking. They were staked up, but you never know what will happen.

Watching massive wet flowers getting pummeled by the wind and rain is a bit more than my gardener's stomach can handle.

The thing about tree peonies in Portland is that their beauty is transient and their timing is poor.

When the buds bust open in late April, either it rains and the yellow pollen gets wet and stains the flowers or we have a freak early heat spell and it's 85 degrees and the flowers fry in the heat and sun.

There can never be a happy medium. 

During the sun breaks, I had to get out and admire them and all the busy bee activity around them.



Paeonia ostii 'Feng Dan Bai 鳳丹白'
Paeonia suffruticosa 'Seidei 聖代'

Paeonia suffruticosa 'Shima Nishiki 岛锦'
Paeonia suffruticosa 'Rou Fu Rong 肉芙蓉'
Paeonia suffruticosa 'Yin Hong Qiao Dui 银红巧对'







3 comments:

  1. You are so right about our seasonality's fickle nature towards tree peonies. Glad you got some shots of your beautiful blooms, as they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 你家牡丹好美!银红巧对的叶子有这么美吗?我看到的都是绿色的。

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your tree peonies! I have two small plants that I grew from seed. I have no idea where to put them yet, so I'll probably move them up to 2 gallon containers for another year.

    ReplyDelete