Friday, March 28, 2014

For the Love of Jane

'Jane' was my bargain wooden-pallet rescue.

I found her in 2009 at Farmington Gardens and when I saw her on the sale pallet for $10, I had to rescue her.

She wasn't much to look at when I got her, but over time she's developed into a pretty young thing.

I admit that she's become a little bit of a pet project and I have been using my pruning skills (or lack there of) to keep her well trained and in check size-wise.

In her summer wardrobe of leaves, I've been playing with removing branches to give her a more open "layered cloud" look (some might say sort of like a really big bonsai, or some might say slightly "poodled").

She always had a bit of an odd lean to the side, but I've come to appreciate her curves. It may just be that she's very courteous, leaning away from the lawn for me to mow easily around her.

Jane will always be beautiful in my eyes.



The new;y opened flowers are luscious in the fading light.
 



Magnolia x 'Jane'A member of the "Little Girl" group of hybrid magnolias developed in the mid-fifties at the U.S. National Arboretum. Hardy shrub or small tree. Impressive reddish purple flowers outside, white inside opening late in spring to avoid frost damage. Flowers are a gorgeous tulip-shape with a lightly lemon scented fragrance. Leaves are dark green and somewhat leathery in appearance. Great choice for any accent, specimen, or border use. Grows 10-15' high. Grows best in full morning sun and partially shaded afternoons. Prefers rich, moist, and well-drained soils

 

Jane's many arms.



Jane amongst the flowers.


1 comment:

  1. Jane is feeling the love and sending it right back atcha.

    ReplyDelete