Monday, November 4, 2013

Curses You Wrong Tag!

You know that feeling when you see a lovely healthy plant and you just have to have it, but then you see the price tag and decide that although your love for plants is great, so is your desire to eat and have a roof over your head.

So, then when you happen to come across the same plant, only in a tiny pot, for a fraction of the cost, you scoop it up, do a little "happy dance" and then hug the plant to your chest, while smiling all the way to the check out counter, where you hand over your retirement money to the nursery cashier.

I recently had this experience with a cactus, a Huernia to be exact. The nursery had a lovely big hanging basket with an amazing, and stinky, Huernia for $35.99. 

It was similar to this flower - I forgot to take a picture at the time.
I found among the long bench of cactus, a smaller plant for $5.99 that had the same tag, with the same information on it.

That's when I got that feeling and grabbed the plant for my cart.

 
I got gypped! But, I also kinda like it! Huernia procumbens?
Fast forward a month and the bud on the plant I brought home opened and it was clearly not the same flower.

I was a little bummed, but if I had not seen the big plant, and only saw this pink starfish cutie, I'm sure I would have bought it anyway and been just as happy.

Have you ever been gypped (bought a mislabeled plant) and how did it turn out?

1 comment:

  1. I want to be around one of these days to see that happy dance.

    ReplyDelete